Hi, my name is Jessica, and I’m a sweets-aholic.
It’s true. I love sweet treats. It’s not quite an addiction; it’s an obsession.
The only good part about my addiction is that I get creative in the kitchen, producing most of my own sweets from scratch using gluten-free, dairy-free, refined sugar-free ingredients.
My favorite way to get inspired is traveling to the farmers market and finding what’s in season, local, and organic. During this time of year, the berries of all varieties are booming, full of sweet juicy flavor, and jam packed with healthy antioxidants! Which is why I had to make my version of…
The Strawberry Shortcake
This famous cake is loved by many, including Chris, who is my taste-tester that let’s me know its, “boyfriend approved.”
My version is individually sized using cupcake tins, making it easy to consume 1, 2… or 3 at any time of day!
Here’s what you do…
Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes
Components of the Concoction
2 ½ Cups Blanched Almond Flour
¾ Teaspoon Baking Soda
¼ Teaspoon Sea Salt
2/3 Cup Raw, Organic (local) Honey
1/3 Cup melted organic, extra virgin coconut oil
4 Large Eggs at Room Temperature
1 Tablespoon of Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
2 Teaspoons of Organic Vanilla Extract
½ Teaspoon Lemon Zest
1 Cup Freshly Chopped Strawberries
Homemade Frosting (Optional):
2 Egg Whites at Room Temperature
¼ Teaspoon Lemon Juice
1/3 Cup of Honey
1 ½ Tablespoons Pureed Strawberries
- Preheat your oven to 325 Degrees
- Get out your muffin tin and line your tin with cupcake paper liners
- In the blender, combine:
Honey, coconut oil, eggs, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and lemon zest
Combine until frothy
Flour, baking soda, and salt to the blender
I mix it together with a wooden spoon
- Fold in: Chopped Strawberries
- Fill your baking cups ¾ of the way full
- Bake for 16-18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry
- COOL BEFORE FROSTING
- Bring your honey to a boil in a saucepan over med-high heat.
- Puree the strawberries in a blender
- Beat egg whites and lemon juice until frothy (this will take around 3 minutes)- Similar to a meringue
- While the mixer is still running, slowly pour in the boiling honey. Extremely slow and steady; this will win the race! Continue beating for 6-8 minutes.
- Fold in your pureed strawberries
- Spread this goodness all over your cooled cupcakes!
Last but not least, enjoy!
Strawberry Health Benefits:
Great source of vitamin C, manganese, dietary fiber, iodine, folate, copper, potassium, biotin, phosphorus, magnesium, vitamin B6, and omega-3 fatty acids.
Oh, and they help make you teeth whiter!
Just some food for thought.