For 30 days our men can run around looking like ‘Chester the Molester’, Borat or Yosemite Sam and, I’m sorry ladies, but we can’t say a damn thing about it!
Whether you think of it as Noshember or Movember, the moustache movement brings awareness to men’s health on a broad spectrum from mental health to prostate cancer.
Just so you can get an idea of why we need to bring attention to this cause and what exactly we are talking about here are a few (scary) statistics from http://us.movember.com/mens-health on men’s health:
- 1 in 2 men, and 1 in 3 women, will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime.
- 1 in 6 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in his lifetime.
- Over 238,000 new cases of the disease will be diagnosed and almost 30,000 men will die of prostate cancer in 2013.
- Testicular cancer is the most common cancer in males between the ages of 15 and 35.
- 7,920 men will be diagnosed with testicular cancer and 370 will die in 2013.
- 6 million people die every year from tobacco use and exposure to tobacco smoke. One person dies every six seconds.
- 1 in every 13 men will be diagnosed with lung cancer in his lifetime.
- While not as common, men can get breast cancer. About 2,240 new cases of breast cancer will be diagnosed among men and about 410 men will die from the disease in 2013.
- More than 3.5 million cases of skin cancer are diagnosed each year.
- An estimated 13 million men, or 11.8% of all men over the age of 20, have diabetes.
- Approximately 76.4 million men and women have high blood pressure.
- Men who sit more than six hours a day have an 18 percent increased risk of dying from heart disease and a 7.8 percent increased chance of dying from diabetes compared with someone who sits for three hours or less a day.
- Globally, 5.3 million deaths will be attributed to physical inactivity.
- Over 6 million men are diagnosed with depression each year.
- Almost four times as many males as females die by suicide.
- 24% of men are less likely to go to the doctor compared to women.
So gentlemen start growing one and ladies whether it be not shaving your legs or applying a moustache somewhere in sight, spread the word!
Here are some websites you can check out for ideas, information and donating!
Coming Soon- Movember Items In The Naked Bohemian Etsy Store with a portion of the proceeds being donated to Men’s Health Awareness!